Sometimes it can be an annoying situation for Apple device users when they need to transfer data from their old iPhone to a new one. Meanwhile, a lot of users have a complaint that alerted a message with “enter the password to unlock your iPhone backup” whenever they were trying to restore a backup using iTunes. After tried to log in with their iPhone’s passcode, Apple ID password, and iTunes password, they noticed that none of these was worked. Thus, the users confused and have no idea what is the password that iTunes is asking for? What do to solve this issue? But thankfully they easily handled this issue due to following the mentioned below specific troubleshooting solutions.
So, if you are also purchased a new iPhone and you are trying to restore your previous backup data from your old iPhone, or maybe you have a new iPhone and want to restore it from the backup data from your old iPhone, and iTunes needs to enter the password to unlock your iPhone backup, but you do not recall that you had encrypted that backup with a password. You have come across a problem such as a prompt that appears to ask you to “Enter your password to unlock your iPhone backup”. Even you tried to log in with your iTunes password or any other password you know. Thus, in this certain situation, you should not worry. You can solve this issue easily because here are mentioned the best troubleshooting solutions to fix the issue.
How to Solve the “Enter The Password To Unlock Your iPhone Backup” Error? If You Forget the Password?
Solution 1: Try out All Possible Passwords
You should try to use all possible passwords to unlock the iPhone backup or to decrypt the previous backup of your old or previous iPhone data. Try using every password such as
- Your iPhone or iPad screen lock password
- Yore Apple ID password or iTunes Password
- The Windows Administrator passcode
- Blank Password and Email password
- Any special numbers like Birthdays, anniversary and any or any important dates
- Common numbers and default iTunes backup passwords like 0000, 1111, 123456, etc.
Thus, remember in the above ways, will help you to recover your encrypted password or iTunes backup password. But in case If you are not able to recall the particular password, or if this process does not work for you, then you should move to the next solutions which should work.
Solution 2: Reset the Password and Make a New iPhone Backup
The other quickest way to solve the “Enter The Password To Unlock Your iPhone Backup” Error by just simply reset the iPhone backup password. Then you should try to reset the password and make a new iPhone backup password. Follow these steps to do it.
- On your iPhone/iPad, go to the Settings menu, then General, and pick the Reset option.
- Next, tap on the option Reset All Settings.
- Then that enter your iPhone passcode when prompted
- Now, follow the wizard to reset your iPhone settings and remove the encryption passcode
- Wait for a few minutes while the process finishes opening iTunes.
- Now connect iPhone to the computer with a USB cable and set a new encryption backup
- Then make a new password and backup your iPhone data.
Also Read: How to Fix Apple ID is Disabled for Security Reasons
Solution 3: Recover your password using Keychain
If you are on a Mac, your password may be in your MacOS and you want to fix the issue “Enter the Password to Unlock Your iPhone Backup”. Then you should verify the password in the Mac key chain since your backup password might be there. To open the Keychain Access, follow these steps.
- On your Mac, go to the Applications/Utilities, and then open Keychain Access.
- Go to the categories section, and pick the “All Items” option.
- Now, enter the iPhone to search in the top-right corner
- Press on the Application Password named iPhone Backup.
- Pick show password section to see the password. Also, the system may require you to enter the macOS to access the backup password.
- That’s all.
Hence, the above solutions will assist you to remove the iTunes backup recovery prompt and solve “Enter the Password to Unlock Your iPhone Backup” problem. However, in case if you face any issue unlocking iPhone backup, so then you can get Apple support experts to help to fix the issue in a quick way and in no time.