With the rise of the subscription culture, people are more likely to enroll in a subscription service, even if they don’t use it sparingly. As people are busy with work, study, and social life, having more services seems like a waste of money. It turns out that such an unused subscription can cost hundreds of dollars a year!
If you are trying to cancel AT&T service, and you think it’s an easy process as you can simply send an email or call and say you want to cancel but it turns out that the process is not always easy. There are many things to consider before starting the process. Here we will go through the steps.
How to cancel AT&T internet or phone service
AT&T does not offer two-year service agreements anymore, which means you can cancel at any time. If there is still time left in your payment month, you will have to pay, but that’s about the service.
- Call to cancel
Start by calling, whether you’re interested in turning off cellular services, cell phones, DirectTV, or the internet at home. Follow the guidelines from the automated system. You will then have your account information ready when a customer service person asks for your information.
- Return any borrowed equipment
If you have a home Internet service, you may have devices, such as a router or modem, which must be restored. If so, AT&T intends to allow 21 days to pay it back, so make arrangements to do it immediately, otherwise, there will be a charge.
- Tie the loose ends with some kind of addition
Some services, such as a cellphone service, may require you to pay a fee if you do not complete your contract. Stopping your service may be a thing if your phone is lost or stolen, rather than canceling it completely. DirectTV, too, maybe withdrawn from the Contact Form but you may receive a closing amount if you close your account before your contract expires.
How to cancel AT&T wireless service
- Check your AT&T Wireless account number. If you do not have an account number, make sure you know the phone number for at least one of your account tools.
- Check your AT&T service agreement If you cancel the service while under the service commitment, the immediate termination fee (ETF) will apply, or if you pay a lease agreement, all unpaid contract fees will be paid immediately.
- The amount of your subscription and/or cost for your phone is set in your agreement with AT&T Wireless.
- The ETF and/or the balance of the lease agreement will decrease each month and make a payment on your contract.
- If you cancel within 14 days of starting the service and return your device to a “new” state, no ETF will apply and you will not be liable under the installment agreement.
- If you make an AT&T wireless call, you can call 611. Alternatively, you can visit AT&T Wireless Shop or kiosk
- Select the language you want to continue. English and Spanish are available through the electronic system.
- Say “Cancel service” when done.
- Name your AT&T wireless account or phone number.
- Follow the guidelines to complete the clearing process.
Alternatives AT&T Recommend instead of cancellation
AT&T however, does not require you to cancel. They then offer other options.
- Submit Your Service
AT&T has a simple online service to help you move your service. Delivering many services is easy by using their system over the Internet. Even if it is not an option, they provide a customer service number that you can call. If the service is available at your new address, you can move your service there.
- Change the service
When you log into your AT&T account, you can see all of the AT&T settings provided by your account. There may be one that best fits your current needs. Switch to that plan and save your internet.
- Transfer payment from your Account to someone else
If your account is in good standing with no previous balance, you can transfer your call to someone else. If you have multiple AT&T services, you will need to cover all of them in order to separate debt. Once the two billing cycles have passed, the service can be merged into one account.
- Suspend your service
There may be situations when you can suspend your AT&T service for things like military deployment, natural disaster, or any other holiday-like reason in the available options. The suspension may involve a monthly fee, but it is likely to be less than your current price.
Cancel your AT&T TV subscription
- Go to AT&T TV NOW in the web browser, not the app. (If you are using a mobile device, click the gear and Account details.)
- Select Subscription Control.
- Choose I want to cancel and follow the promises.
- You can cancel your subscription to AT&T TV at any time by visiting wdat.com/acctmgmt/passthrough/
Things to remember
All of the aforementioned fees and policies are at the discretion of AT&T. If you are not entirely sure of your situation, your bet is to go online and discuss AT&T directly.